Image credit: Scott Lewis / Flickr.com
Money saving expert Matt Granite outlines the top 3 ways you can increase the value of your home with these simple home improvement projects.
February signals the start of tax season, a time when many Americans gain nearly $3,000 on average in the form of a tax refund, according to the IRS.
Splurging on a vacation or iPhone X is tempting, but as a homeowner, sinking refund cash into your house may be smarter, especially if debts are already under control, says Lisa Greene-Lewis, a certified public accountant and tax expert at TurboTax.
Even small home improvements can nudge home value — and your quality of life — in a positive direction. But how do you decide what to do?
The first question to ask, says Craig Webb, editor in chief of Remodeling magazine, is “How long do I plan to stay in the home?” The answer dictates how much you should spend on home improvements and which projects to prioritize.
If you’re staying put, focus on changes that make your life better and improve value, Webb says. Fix what’s broken before thinking about curb appeal.
Here are some home improvement ideas in several price ranges so you can put that tax refund to work.
Home Improvements Around $100
1. Replace cabinet hardware. Changing knobs or handles is fairly simple, but gives the whole room a new look, says Colin Shaw, owner of Shaw Remodeling in Niantic, Connecticut.
2. Seal the driveway. You’ll reduce unsightly cracks and slow deterioration of the concrete or asphalt.
3. Get the HVAC system serviced. Regular cleaning can add 10 years to the life of your system, says Laura Hales, a real estate agent and owner of Hales and Associates in Overland Park, Kansas.
Home Improvement Around $500
1. Add a tile backsplash. Backsplashes provide an instant transformation at a fraction of what a full kitchen remodel costs.
2. Refresh interior paint. New paint in main rooms brightens the whole house, and doing it yourself saves on labor costs, Hales says.
3. Insulate the attic. Buyers love energy efficiency, and you’ll love lower utility bills.
Home Improvement Around $1,000
1. Get a new front door. Shaw recommends fiberglass doors that don’t swell or contract with the weather.
2. Replace inefficient appliances like the water heater, toilet, refrigerator or dishwasher.
3. Tile the bathroom floor. Heavy foot traffic leaves flooring dingy. Opt for bright, easy-to-clean tile instead.
Home Improvements Around $3,000
1. Install new kitchen countertops. Almost all buyers want granite, quartz and other solid surfaces, Hales says.
2. Replace the garage door. A new garage door recoups around 98% of its cost in improved home value, according to Remodeling magazine’s 2018 Cost vs. Value report.
3. Enhance your landscaping. Stone pavers, a fire pit or exterior lighting boost curb appeal and functionality.
NOTE: Original article Getting a tax refund? Use it on home improvements to boost resale value was originally posted on www.usatoday.com by Beth Buczynski of NerdWallet. NerdWallet is a USA TODAY content partner providing general news, commentary and coverage from around the web. Its content is produced independently of USA TODAY.
From our editor...
Stucco Repair Home Improvements
As always we have to add our 2 cents to the conversation. And you guessed it... It will be about stucco repair.
In our humble opinion it is very important to have exterior of your home in the best possible shape it can be. This is what protects the rest of your home from the elements. Being stucco repair contractors we know stucco very well. And we also know what kind of effect damaged stucco can have on the rest of residential or commercial structure.
Our experience can tell you that a small hairline crack or what used to be small stucco problem is can turn in a full blown stucco water damage repair project if homeowner or business owner doesn't take care of it right away.
Because each stucco repair situation is unique it is very hard to put a Dollar amount on a hypothetical repair. But to be sure that every stucco problem gets taken care of we provide FREE stucco repair estimates for both residential and commercial customers.
We advise homeowners ad commercial property owners to do walk around their home or commercial building at least once per year and look at the condition their exterior stucco wall is in. If they notice any stucco cracks, any buckling stucco, or if their exterior stucco wall has any holes in it to take care of these types of stucco damage situations as soon as possible.
We can's stress enough to people that time is not on their side. What could have been a small repair can quickly turn into an expensive stucco repair project.
If you need help identifying stucco damage or need professional help with your stucco repair project please do not hesitate to call Stucco HQ. Our friendly staff can be reached at (407) 258-2826 during business hours. They will answer your questions and help you schedule your FREE No-Obligation Quote. We are waiting for your cal!
98d438fcf3b1f238b53a3bf4da71170f0889317bf5882856b36d7453d8bc457298d438fcf3b1f238b53a3bf4da71170f0889317bf5882856b36d7453d8bc4572POSTLINK98d438fcf3b1f238b53a3bf4da71170f0889317bf5882856b36d7453d8bc457298d438fcf3b1f238b53a3bf4da71170f0889317bf5882856b36d7453d8bc4572 was originally published on www.StuccoHQ.com